Winter is definitely upon us in Australia, so it is time to whip out MY favourite soup recipes. I emphasise the MY because lets be real, if it isn’t a cheese sandwich or nuggets and chips my kids won’t eat it! Another little secret about me is that I am an absolutely horrible cook, I love to cook but cooking doesn’t seem to love me back. So in order to keep my kids and I alive I need very basic, easy recipes.
This recipe only has a few ingredients and is so quick and easy, Maya (my 3 year old) could make it (don’t worry, of course I don’t actually let her).
- 55g of Butter
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Leeks, sliced
- 225g of Potatoes, cut into cubes
- 850ml Vegetable Stock
- Salt & Pepper, to season
- 150ml of cream, to serve (optional).
Note: I used Coconut Cream to make it taste a little more exotic 🙂
Let’s Do This!
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the prepared veggies and stir occasionally for 2-3 mins until soft.
- Pour in stock and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 mins.
- Remove from the heat and puree the soup with a stick mixer, add salt and pepper to season.
- Ladle into bowls and serve! If you choose to use the cream add a fancy swirl and VOILA you’re done!
This recipe is a great base soup, if you’re confident and know your way around the kitchen I am sure you can add some fancy seasonings like chilli or chives to make it even more scrumptious. But if you are anything like me, this recipe is fantastic as is and is a lot more healthy than eating the kids leftovers or ordering Dominos pizza delivery at 11pm (don’t judge, we all do it haha).