Hijabi’s have problems too and I am going to share some of them with you. Sit back, relax and have a giggle.
1. Wrapping my hijab so tight that I can’t move my head left or right and it feels like my eyes might pop out if I sneeze.
2. Stabbing myself that many times with hijab pins that I’m convinced my brain is oozing out.
3. My hijab is no match for windy days. The meme below pretty much sums it up!
4. Store staff talk to me like I am a toddler or not at all because they presume I can’t speak English.
5. That awkward silence when a coworker invites me to the bar/pub for after work drinks…
6. My daughters treating my hijab like a vine by swinging of it, like Tarzan.
7. I forgot to hide one of my chins when wrapping my hijab.
8. Staring at my 127 hijabs (literally) but NONE match my outfit!
9. After lunch, looking down and finding that my hijab has caught crumbs equivalent to half my felafel kebab.
10. I can’t get my hijab to sit properly! BAD HIJAB DAY!
11. When my friend’s kids act like they don’t know me and cry when they see me without hijab.
12. Sitting at public events and realising there is an empty 5m radius around me because everyone is afraid to sit near the Muslim…
13. In government buildings, airports, highly populated areas, actually pretty much everywhere! People take it upon themselves to blatantly stare at whatever I am doing on my mobile phone for “security reasons”. Chill out guys I’m Instagramming a pic of my lunch not activating a bomb!
14. When I travel out of a predominantly Muslim suburb and am the ONLY hijabi for as far as the eye can see.
15. Finding a maxi skirt that is ACTUALLY in my size! I grab it, run to the checkout, throw them my money. But when I get home, I find that their thigh high slit…
16. When out with my husband, people address or talk to him and completely ignore me… Pah-leez, I am the one that holds the money AND makes the decisions.
17. Being bomb tested EVERYTIME I go through airport security… Random selection, yeah right!
18. Getting makeup or blush stains on my light coloured hijabs!
19. Saying any non-English word in public. And everyone in your vicinity gives themselves whiplash from swinging their heads to stare at you.
20. Walking into a luxury store like Gucci or Versace and the staff thinking you’re Gulf oil rich… Nah man I just want to buy a keyring…
So, next time you see a hijabi that doesn’t look very impressed at life, don’t be afraid.
She could’ve faced any number of these hijabi problems. Or she is just having a crappy day like any other person. Just throw her a smile, I know for a fact it will go a long way.